Before I start I want to stress that my coding ability especially website design is lacking and would love some help putting a site together. This can be either a helpful link to a tutorial or physically helping.
Now last night I made this wip below and I need advice on everything! Rip it apart, tell me what is missing, what sucks and whether you have better ideas. I was already told by a friend that he doesn't like the font so by all means if you don't either then share some with me. I also made this as 1280x768 but is that correct? I think I have to do that "slicing method" that I've never used before.
Don't be gentle. This is just the front page anyway. Another edit following advice of user 01. (Temporary pictures anyway)
So far the crits I have received are:
1. Font doesn't suit background.
2. Links need to be darker or have a banner behind them to stand out.
3. Background needs to be darker, looks washed out and reminds user of tellytubbies. (I'm starting to agree, a lot of portfolio websites seem darker which makes the pictures stand out.)
4. Picture borders need to be darker, perhaps black to stand out.
5. Ditch the slice method and go for a HTML site.