- solid Half-Life 2 level design (environmental/physic puzzles, fun combat encounters, eerie/exciting atmosphere)
- learn more about Hammer
- 5 - 10 minutes of gameplay
- accomplish in ~3 months (I'm a married adult w/ kids so time is limited)
Here is the layout w/ flow lines and an explanation of the flow below the picture. START
- Player arrives via airboat and has a view of the level before getting to the canal entrance. Player sees it is blocked, and must proceed over the pier and onto the concrete loading dock area.
- Player gets into magnetic crane and crane is positioned so player can see guards storm out of the Guard Room. Player then uses crane to pick up objects and defeat guards. Player then uses crane to lift airboat over obstacle and into the canals, exits crane and gets back into airboat. Player then proceeds up canals towards point 3.
- Before entering the Boathouse, player sees canal turning left but is blocked by a gate. Player continues forward due to it being the only path available and enters the Boathouse. Boathouse garage door opens part way, grenade tossed underneath and after explosion, guards storm in through normal doors on either side of garage door. Fight takes place in garage as well as outside.
- Player has fight in another loading dock area before climbing onto crates and metal sheets to hop onto the shelter at area 5. Maybe player needs to use gravity gun to place objects/metal sheets in order to climb this section.
- Shelter has some objects underneath it and some ammo/health/shield. Player proceeds across driveway to the Garage at point 6.
- Player moves through a garage building, not sure yet if this will be combat focused or puzzle focused.
- Player enters area and vehicles storm through gates, fight ensures. Enemy on turret in tower at point 8 gives hint at where player can go to take out approaching helicopter. Helicopter arrives and player heads to part 8.
- Player takes out helicopter w/ turret.
- Player climbs onto roof and into the Gate Control building to open the canal gate at part 10. Player then follows walkway over gate and back to the Boathouse, climbs a latter down and gets back into the airboat.
- Player exits Boathouse, goes through gate, and continues north through the canals.
Some questions I have are, should I nail down more of the details such as exactly what the Boathouse will look like such as catwalks and props, or if part 6 will be more puzzle or combat focused, etc, before I head to whiteboxing the level? Are there any improvements you would suggest or changes that should be made?
Potential areas I've noted I may need to improve
- more verticality
- more secret areas
- potential underground areas