The purpose of these maps is for me to practice. I'm trying to take my time to learn how various entities work together to produce fun and interesting effects. I am also trying to learn how to design maps well, such as optimizing with func_detail, aligning textures, etc.
I use at least the following entities: ambient_generic, env_beam, env_sprite, env_spark, env_fade, info_landmark, info_player_start, info_target, light, multi_manager, multisource, path_corner, func_button, func_detail, func_door_rotating, func_breakable, func_wall, trigger_hurt, env_shake, func_pushable, func_recharge, func_healthcharger, env_explosion, trigger_push, func_tank, func_tankcontrols, func_illusionary, env_global, func_tracktrain, path_track, trigger_autosave, monstermaker
This map is very much a work in progress. I plan to continue practicing with it. Here are some of the things on my to-do list:
- Add features to the outdoor environment. Maybe some boulders, add some contours to the terrain, maybe a watch tower.
- Add background ambiance, like gunfire and mortars in the background
- Add NPCs, maybe a retinal scanner
- Improve the tunnel, it's currently very bland. Add a trigger_hurt to the track.
- Add interesting nooks and crannies such as vents
- Add a room with a horror theme with alarms, dead scientists, zombies, etc.
- Add in teleports
Aside from a map or two on a couple of occasions, this is pretty much my first map since I joined TWHL back in 2004! I hope to continue improving my skills.
FYI: you will notice that right now, there are a few "doors to nowhere". These are potential spots where I am considering expanding onto in future revisions.
FYI: the reason why this is broken into three maps was simply for me to practice map transitions and global variables.