"Warning: Leaf portals saw into leaf
Problem at portal between leaves 477 and 502:
(-150.000 -1890.400 320.000)
(-166.131 -1877.598 -64.070)
(-166.052 -1877.558 -64.070)
(-165.957 -1877.515 -64.000):" ERROR:
Caused by a bad brush, whether you or Hammer did it, lol! = )
A good portion of the time, this error comes up erroneously, sometimes on even the simplest architecture, inexplicably. These dreaded Leaf-saw errors are interrelated to many other errors in Hammer compile, which makes them especially infuriating and hard to diagnose, define, and quantify.
Disappearing Brushes and HOM can be the cause of a single one of these "leaf-saw" errors. Multiple Coplanar errors (Coplanar Plane errors on every brush in your map) can be caused by one leaf-saw error. If you have a problem in your map, check the compile log... there is probably a "leaf-saw" error!
These Errors alone are the reason I constantly back up my levels. They can cause your whole map to be uncompilable and/or extremely difficult to find the problem.FIXES:
- VIS -full. Many "leaf-saws" that come up in FAST and NORMAL VIS will disappear in FULL.
- Copy/paste method. Copy the whole map and paste it into a new .rmf file.
- func_walling: Find the bad brush or brushes and make them func_wall (make them fun_illusionary if you have a tight clipnode budjet).
- Revert to an earlier, error-free version of your map. You have earlier versions, right?
- Eliminate any structures/brushes outside the compilable area of your map (even if they are nulled they can still possibly cause this and other problems).
- Sometimes rotating multiple complex objects causes this error, especially using "ctrl-m" to move them. Try shift-rotating instead, or rotating less objects at a time.
- Some other errors may erroneously cause leaf-saw errors. Make sure there aren't any other "problems" with your map you might be overlooking!
- The simplest, most innocent looking structure can potentially be the culprit of your leaf-saw error, and can erroneously spawn additional leaf-saw errors. Find the culprit brush and kill it!